I think most designers and artists have that moment, while working on a project, when a spark brings all the elements together in a flash. I had one of those moments tonight while working on a logo for an employee council at work.
The project started with the usual circle, a popular form at work. That was version 1. Before hitting the hay (after camping the night before and still recovering from that), I cranked out version two, which was more text based, but had some elements from version 1. Sitting down tonight to tweak version 2, I looked around for more inspirations for some visualization of the “employee council” concept. Finally I just searched on “employee” and came across a stock graphic from Adobe. Sparking an idea, I used the concept in that stock graphic to create the final icon.
In this case, it took finding the right inspiration to kickstart the process. I think the end result finally captured the concept well. The actual final version for the employee council, naturally, has more elements.
I decided to start a more formal design presence, it was a pretty leap to take my signature design (at least one variation) and build a logo from it. Adding some blocky, almost stencil-like letters to convey the “DMD” concept was also an easy start, even with the second “D” being reversed to add a nice ‘cradle’ for the face.
Reading through Instragram today and scanning the search area, I came across a graphic designer that had some wonderful logo designs. Many of them were beautifully laid out based on clean lines. While I have no allusions of reach that artist’s skill, I was intrigued by his use of lines and combining things.
So, cracking open Inkscape, I decided to experiment on a new logo that was more simplistic logo that could be applied to less ‘tactical’ designs and projects. My plan was to combined the “D” and “M” of Data Monkey. With that simple plan, I cranked out the designs below. There is a subtle difference – the upward line for the “M” borrows the curve from the “D” on the righthand design, versus the straight of the left.
Not in a hurry to change my logo, but thought this was a nice experiment, and something to potentially use in the future.
This series of patch designs came about as a spoof more or less of the ‘secret squirrel’ patch often seen in the morale patch community. The original patch in this group was the ‘secret camel,’ with one variation using Joe Camel [not posted here due to trademarks and such]. Some of them are more sarcastic than others. I’ll likely add more as I research appropriate animals for other countries.
For each of these, I tried to match an animal associated with secrets or wisdom, plus the national colors (Middle East being an exception). I also tried to accurately translate ‘secret’ into each language. Word of advice when doing translation: Google Translate works for some language, but only as a starting point with others. Just think of all those people with Chinese tattoos that don’t mean what they think it means…
Inspiration can come from a lot places. I see a lot of things during the day, some of which will spark an idea. We’ve all seen those “13.1” or “26.2” oval stickers on back windows of cars. More power to people who can actually run that far. One day I saw a “0.0” sticker and it sparked a thought.
The zeroes morphed into donuts in my mind, especially when the “0.0” sticker said something about “don’t run” or similar. After some tinkering, which is the usual process, I came up with this sarcastic version. Hope you enjoy…..maybe with a cup of coffee…